My main research interests are classical mycology in a One Health perspective: animal, human and environmental health. More specifically the impact fungi have on food, feed and animal and human health. Current topics of interest are the development of azole resistance, appearance of novel mould species in Norway due to climate change and potential applications of fungi to address the challenge of microplastic pollution.
Graduated as a veterinarian (Cand. Med. Vet.) from the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science (NVH) in 1988. Started to work at the Norwegian Veterinary Institute (NVI) in Oslo, Norway, in 1988. Employed as PhD student 1991 and awarded PhD in 1996, Mycological survey and characterization of the mycobiota in big bale grass silage in Norway (NVI, NVH). I am currently the group leader of the Toxinology Research Group at NVI. Chairwoman of the Norwegian Scientific Committee for Food and Environment’s (VKM) Panel on Microbial Ecology (2015-218), and from 2018 member of VKM’s expert pool. Member of the National Commission for the Investigation of Research Misconduct, The Norwegian National Research Ethics Committees (2017-). Awarded as de facto diplomate of the European College of Aquatic Animal Health (ECAAH).
- Elameen, A.; Stueland, S.; Kristensen, R.; Fristad, R. F.; Vrålstad, T.; Skaar, I., Genetic analyses of Saprolegnia strains isolated from salmonid fish of different geographic origin document the connection between pathogenicity and molecular diversity. Journal of Fungi 2021, 7 (9), 713.
- Schirmer, B. C.; Liland, K. H.; Øverby, L.; Skaar, I.; Kure, C. F., Suitability of FTIR to distinguish pure cultures of problematic mould species from closely related species in the meat industry. Journal of Applied Microbiology 2021, 131 (5), 2308-2316.
- Schirmer, B.C.; Sørheim, O.; Skaar, I.; Kure, C.F. The influence of concentrations of carbond ioxide and residual oxygen on the growth of meat spoilage moulds. J Food Sci Nutri 2020.
- Ali, S. E.; Songe, M. M.; Skaar, I., Colorimetric assay for the in vitro evaluation of Saprolegnia biofilm inhibitors. Journal of Fish Diseases 2019, 42 (8), 1119-1124.
- Eriksen, G. S.; Jaderlund, K. H.; Moldes-Anaya, A.; Schonheit, J.; Bernhoft, A.; Jaeger, G.; Rundberget, T.; Skaar, I., Poisoning of dogs with tremorgenic Penicillium toxins. Medical Mycology 2010, 48 (1), 188-196.
- Rakkestad, K. E.; Skaar, I.; Ansteinsson, V. E.; Solhaug, A.; Holme, J. A.; Pestka, J. J.; Samuelsen, J. T.; Dahlman, H. J.; Hongslo, J. K.; Becher, R., DNA damage and DNA damage responses in THP-1 monocytes after exposure to spores of either Stachybotrys chartarum or Aspergillus versicolor or to T-2 toxin. Toxicological Sciences 2010, 115 (1), 140-155.
- Moldes-Anaya, A. S.; Asp, T. N.; Eriksen, G. S.; Skaar, I.; Rundberget, T., Determination of cyclopiazonic acid in food and feeds by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A 2009, 1216 (18), 3812-3818.
- Rundberget, T.; Skaar, I.; Flaoyen, A., The presence of Penicillium and Penicillium mycotoxins in food wastes. International Journal of Food Microbiology 2004, 90 (2), 181-188.
- Rundberget, T.; Skaar, I.; O’Brien, O.; Flaoyen, A., Penitrem and thomitrem formation by Penicillium crustosum. Mycopathologia 2004, 157 (3), 349-357.